Thursday, January 1, 2009

London Calling - Received

Bags are packed.
Boarding pass is printed.
Passport is here. (It's a new one, no visa... what an odyssey that was... but the British Consul General promised me one, personally! So that's something! Thanks, connections from Mom's work!)
I have pounds, not dollars in my wallet.
My dad shot off fireworks. (It was too windy last night, so they did double duty tonight)


For those interested, my intinerary for tomorrow:
British Airways Flight 66 departs PHL at 6:55pm (EST), arrives LHR (London - Heathrow) at 6:50am (GMT). That's 1:50am EST, for those playing at home (Boston College, for all intents and porpoises).

Catch you all on the flip side.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This being the flip side. It's London. Whoa.
I feel like I'm dreaming. This could be because I slept for less than an hour on the plane and so am running on yesterday still. Pretty cold here, as it is at home. That's helping me stay awake.

If you're flying British Airways, try to fly "club world" if you can spare the change. I didn't. I regret it. Flying across the ocean crammed into a hard seat with people kicking you in the back/practically laying on you in the front gets old fast. Especially when the TV doesn't work.
Heathrow is a breeze to move through - wish American airports were like that... I spent less time in Heathrow, including customs and shit, than I've spent in some American airports. Unbelievable.

Everything here is, obviously, British... but it also feels really natural. This is, perhaps, because I am a ridiculous Anglophile. But the driving on the other side of the road, the different names for things... its cute and endearing but also natural. It just... fits.

My room is a pretty groovy single. Big window, looks onto a nice courtyard. The bed sucks, but what else does one expect? Nice amount of space though, overall. Met one of the flatmates so far - his name is Dan (hey, look at that) and he has assured me that we'll be going out and getting "proper hammered" tonight as a welcome.

Orientation tomorrow... A couple city-based things during the week... Who the hell knows when classes and things start - I guess I find that out tomorrow. Well, anyways, I need to unpack properly and things.

I miss you guys already - those of you coming over here, get here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment