Friday, February 13, 2009

A Tangent

Spring Awakening. Raise your hands, those who have seen it.
Keep your hands up if you liked it.

Mmm, okay, knew a couple hands were going down...

Keep 'em up if you'd go see it again.



So today, after packing a bag with a few days of clothes and some of the books I want to take home, I realized that I needed to get out of the room and do something. Something fun, something that I won't have to think too hard about, and something that I know I'll enjoy. Taiming of the Shrew or Twelfth Night? Not tonight. Something at the National? Nothing playing that I haven't seen already, surprisingly. Something edgy and new that I only know a little about? Too much risk.
I ended up landing an on-stage ticket for Spring Awakening. I won't get all boring about the show itself - though I will say that its quite cool to see from onstage. I just want to mention that even though it was a significantly weaker performance in almost every regard (despite the same director, choreographer, and design team from NYC)... I still loved it.

We might disagree about the merits of the show itself but think broader; shows or music or something in general. Have you ever seen something that just resonated - and then you found out that it wasn't a fluke? It wasn't just the performances, it wasn't just the people I was with, it wasn't "where I was in life"...

A magnificent feeling, to be affirmed in that way. To walk away from seeing a show that I know just about inside and out and still feel great - still feel the way I did inside after the first time I saw it or heard it or read it.

Wheels down at 6:30 (tentatively) tomorrow. I hope to see those of you at home at the V-Day party - god, it would really be swell to see all of you.

Missing you all and headed to bed with a mixture of excitement, trepidation, and insanity - catch you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment